Is addiction a matter of choice or a psychological disorder?
It’s a question that’s been troubling our minds for quite some time. While it’s pretty apparent that people tend to get addicted on their own, the real story is a little different.
Let us tell you why.
The notion of using drugs does not start without any potential reason. Many people choose this path to take care (failingly so) of their depression or anxiety.
Some other individuals generally consider it as an escapade from the abusive behavior they receive from their households or their office.
Relying upon drug addiction isn’t really a life that an individual would choose willingly – and most medical professionals agree to that.
So, what’s the answer to our titular question?
Well, according to Pinnacle Recovery, drug addiction is, indeed, a chronic brain disease. If it’s not treated properly, the prominence of the same will keep increasing until the user passes away. However, if you don’t want to reach that level, learning more about this condition will be highly crucial for you.
What Is Drug Addiction?
Drug addiction, also known as substance abuse disorder, is a chronic ailment that can happen to almost anyone. Although it’s more common amongst teenagers, an adult may get addicted at some point in their life too.
In severe cases, the usage of substances can become an uncontrollable urge or habit that hurts your everyday life, such as –
- Struggling to show up at your workplace or school.
- Getting into relationship-related conflicts.
- Experiencing financial or legal problems.
Some people tend to get arrested due to doing something illegal under the influence of a drug or alcohol. It, in turn, damages their social status and reputation much more than usual.
What Are The Characteristics Of Drug Addiction?
If it’s not controlled, a drug addict will always show specific characteristics of their addiction. Here’s what you need to know about it.
- Showing a dysfunctional emotional response.
- An increase in “craving” for rewarding or recreational experiences.
- Inability to recognize the behavioral problems.
- Inefficiency in managing your relationships.
- Impairment in controlling specific human behaviors.
Aside from this, resisting change in spite of the increasing issues is also considered to be a classic example of drug addiction.
How Does Drug Addiction Affect Your Brain Health?
Like any other cerebral disease, drugs can affect your brain from within. Here’s everything that you need to know in this aspect.
Problem – 1: Impaired Judgment And Control
Drug addiction can alter the health of your brain cells pretty massively. This, in turn, can cloud your judgment and affect your self-control to some extent. Some of the behavioral complications that may arise due to this problem are –
- An increase in the time lost from school or work.
- Engaging in much more addictive behaviors than you’ve expected.
- Lacking the decisional integration of seeking professional help.
- Continued usage of substances despite psychological and physical consequences.
Aside from these, you may also start drinking only a single type of alcohol or consuming the same drug again and again.
Problem – 2: Changes Your Cognitive Behavior
Due to the changes in your brain’s chemical integration, drug addiction can also alter your cognitive behavior massively. Here’s how it can affect you –
- Getting preoccupied with substance usage or substance behavior.
- Believing falsely that your problems will get cured on their own.
- Having an altered sense of the cons and pros of the addictive behavior.
If you are suffering from severe drug addiction, you may also fail to recognize people whom you know.
Problem – 3: Emotional Changes
In some cases, you may also find it difficult to contain your emotions properly. The changes you may oversee during this period are –
- Having difficulty in expressing or identifying feelings.
- Experiencing increased prominence of dysphoria, anxiety, and emotional pain.
- Considering a particular situation to be too stressful than they actually are.
Getting angry all of a sudden or feeling depressed all day long can be a sign of alcohol addiction as well.
What Are The Risk Factors Of Alcohol Addiction?
Addiction does not discriminate at all – whether it’s the people living in high-rent districts or “seedy” neighborhoods. It can happen to anyone and everyone.
Thus, if you want to reduce your risk of addiction, you will need to know about the risk factors first. Let’s keep reading to find out more about it.
- Genetics: Addiction, indeed, does run in the family. According to the National Institute On Drug Addiction, you’ll have a 60% risk of developing drug addiction at some point in your life.
- Development: Using drugs during your development years (teenage or young adult) even once can make you addicted to it. It may also affect your growth and cause severe damage to your brain and overall health.
- Environment: Growing up in a locality where smoking pot or drinking alcohol is the norm can also increase your risk of addiction. As per a report, it is more responsible for teenage addiction than any other factor.
Is Addiction A Chronic Disease?
A chronic disease, in essence, is a condition that changes how an organ is performing. You can manage or treat it; however, curing it entirely will not be possible for anyone.
Addiction works the same way if we’re being honest.
You can opt for an addiction care center and try to treat it. While it’s possible to get rid of this habit, you will still be going through more than one relapse. If you are not determined enough, you may end up losing your battle against addiction as well.
This is why it is considered as a chronic disease.
If you don’t take proper care, your issue of addiction will take over your mind and brain eventually. It, in turn, will affect both your professional and personal life massively. Due to this reason, we will ask you to treat it as soon as possible.
If you are too much into the addiction, we will ask you to opt for an inpatient procedure.
You may have to stay in the facility for a prolonged period, but your problem will be solved pretty prominently. Also, if you are suffering from any kind of anxiety. Don’t forget to use the relaxation techniques properly.
Hopefully, it will all work out properly for you!
Also Read:- Pcworldsolutions
Looking to Buy a Bed for Your Dog? Helpful Suggestions
Remember that your dog has certain needs and preferences while shopping for a bed. Considering the vast variation of canine…
The Top 4 Minimalist Gold Bracelets Every Woman Should Own
Playing around with different hand accessories to find ones that complement your style is a lot of fun. Women’s gold…